Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 6 Still Arkaroola







It was nice to wake up knowing we wouldn’t be pulling the van down and hitting the road today. After a leisurely breakfast and shower, we headed into the wilderness for a bit of local exploring. While they may never have been here, this truly is the country written about by Patterson and Mackellar. We spent the morning exploring Arkaroola Waterhole about 10Km from our campsite and memories of my early childhood came flooding back as we explored the dry creek beds fringed with majestic Scribbly Gums and dying Willows. All that was missing was a little water in the creeks and a few yabbies boiling up in a pot on the fire.
We found a nice spot for a family photo so I set up the tripod and hunted the family up to a ledge that would give us a nice shot. I set the 10 second timer and the moment I pressed the shutter button, I sprinted around the rocks and up the face of the cliff to get myself onto the ledge and into the shot. Unfortunately I missed the 1st shot by a second but more unfortunately for me, I got there in time for the second shot, but no-one told me. After 7 further attempts, I gave up and decided I needed to get back into training. It wasn’t until later tonight I discovered I’d made the second shot after all.
Jacqui knocked up some snacks for lunch and we got back to the van mid afternoon, just in time for a swim in the resort pool. Jacob is too daring for his own good but Zach and Tom are both getting much better at swimming. Jacqui had picked up some fresh meat in Broken Hill so we took full advantage of the BBQ facilities and while I threatened a decent steak and sausages, Zach and Jake made some new friends around a cricket bat we’d brought along. Tom decided to turn the van into Tom’s Country Restaurant and took the opportunity to prepare a table along with a desert of Snakes, Tiny Teddies and Chocolate. Exactly what we all needed.
After dinner, we fell into the trap of loading up the mobile DVD player for the boys but at least it gave Jacqui and I time to plan for the day ahead.
Cheers,
Jorg

No comments:

Post a Comment