Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 74 Adelaide

With the delays we’re experiencing getting the suspension repaired, it looks like we’ll be missing Kangaroo Island entirely and we’ll be waving at Melbourne as we drive through, from Apollo Bay to Mallacoota. The 3 days in Adelaide has taken up any slack left in the itinerary and we don’t want to rush The Great Ocean Road more than we already are.
Our only city stop so far on this journey has been Adelaide and frankly, it’s been a major disappointment. With the rain yesterday, there was little to do once we’d confirmed the need to replace the shock absorbers, so we spent the morning in the city, then cruised through the afternoon.
Today, the sun was out again, but we had no car. The Koni’s arrived from Melbourne earlier than expected so I collected them with Jacob and then dropped the car at Pedders for the installation. I was told a couple of hours should do it so Jacob and I walked around for 3 hours.
We found Australia’s only licensed poisonous reptile retailer and stopped to have a look at the stock-on-hand. They had Black Snakes, Diamond Pythons, Carpet Snakes, Bearded Dragons, Thorny Tailed Minotaur’s, and giant Perenties, plus many more I couldn’t remember but that I’m sure will visit me in my dreams. After the reptiles, we found a donut shop and then a coffee shop, followed by the R. M. Williams Museum, before again visiting the reptiles on the return trip to the workshop. After 3 hours of walking the streets, we got back to Pedders to find that they had only just removed the 1st shock absorber.
Mitch, the Pedders dude explained that he didn’t realise he’d be required to remove the battery from one side of the engine bay, and part of the air-conditioning unit from the other side, in order to remove the shock absorbers. He did however explain that now that he’d learnt how to take out one side, he was certain the other side would be much easier. I decided that it would be best if I just left him to work it out so Jacob and I caught a cab back to the van to begin planning our escape.
At 4pm I called Mitch to be told that he was just finishing up and that I could come to collect the car. It took him 6 hours to do the job but sure enough, the front feels great and I’m now certain I’ll get the family home safely. Another day lost in the city of churches.
Cheers,
Jorg

No comments:

Post a Comment